Sunday, March 15, 2009

Border Security

During our Spring Break I went to South Padre Island and I decided to visit Mexico since the border was just thirty minutes away. I had a great time in Mexico, and I visited some family and friends, and when I finally decided to cross back to the U.S. it was terrible. After waiting one hour and a half in line to get back into the United States, I finally drove up to the border patrol agent and showed my American passport. After inspecting it, the officer looked through every corner of my car, and made me get down to open the trunk. After five minutes of searching, and banging on the sides of my car he bombarded me with so many questions about why I was in Mexico, where I lived, and so on.

I feel like the border patrol is way too strict. Even after I showed my American passport and the officer looked through my car, he still asked me many questions. Being an American should guarantee easier access into the United States. Border patrol agents shouldn't treat everybody as if they were criminals, especially an American who is trying to get back into their own country. They should check for passports, look a little bit through the car, and let people pass, not detain people for fifteen, twenty minutes asking questions and making people feel uncomfortable.

No comments: